Safe amalgam removal refers to the process of carefully and strategically removing dental amalgam (silver fillings) with a focus on minimizing the potential exposure to mercury vapors and particles. Dental amalgam typically consists of a mixture of metals, including mercury, silver, tin, and copper. Some individuals, due to concerns about potential mercury exposure, may choose to undergo safe amalgam removal. If you are considering a safe amalgam removal, contact us!
Concerns about Amalgam Fillings
- One of the main concerns is that mercury vapor can be released from these fillings during chewing or grinding teeth. This vapor can then be absorbed into the body through inhalation or ingestion. The long-term effects of this exposure are still being studied, but it's important to note that most research suggests any risk associated with amalgam fillings is minimal.
- Another concern is the environmental impact of disposing of amalgam waste. When removed from teeth, old or damaged amalgam fillings must be handled carefully to prevent releasing mercury into the environment. We practice safe amalgam removal and follow strict protocols to ensure proper disposal and minimize any potential harm.
- It's worth mentioning that alternatives to dental amalgams are available if you're concerned about their use. Tooth-colored composite resin and porcelain materials offer aesthetic benefits while being free from mercury content. These options may be more suitable for individuals with specific sensitivities or concerns regarding metal restorations.
- If you currently have dental amalgams and are worried about their safety, it's essential to discuss your concerns with our dentist in Highland Heights, OH, before deciding on removal procedures. We will assess your unique situation and provide guidance based on your oral health needs.
Procedure for Safe Amalgam Removal
When it comes to removing amalgam fillings, it is important to follow a safe and careful procedure. Our dentists in Heights, OH, specializes in holistic or biological dentistry, as they are trained in the proper methods of amalgam removal.
Before the procedure begins, the dentist will take precautions, such as providing you with protective eyewear and a rubber dam to prevent any mercury particles from being ingested or inhaled. They may also use an air filtration system to remove any airborne mercury vapors. During the removal process, the dentist will carefully cut away the amalgam filling using high-speed suction and water spray. This helps minimize heat generation and reduces exposure to mercury vapor. The tooth will then be thoroughly cleaned and prepared for a new restoration.
After the removal, it is recommended to undergo chelation therapy or other detoxification methods to help eliminate any remaining traces of mercury from your body. Our dentist in Highland Heights, OH, can provide guidance on suitable detoxification protocols.
Taking Care of Your Oral Health After Amalgam Removal
Here are some important steps you can take:
- Follow post-removal instructions: Our dentist in Highland Heights, OH, will provide specific guidelines on how to care for your teeth and gums after the removal procedure. It's essential to follow these instructions carefully, as they will help promote healing and prevent any complications.
- Maintain good oral hygiene: Brushing twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and flossing daily remain fundamental pillars of oral hygiene. These habits remove plaque buildup, reduce the risk of cavities, and keep your mouth fresh.
- Choose tooth-friendly foods: After amalgam removal, it's advisable to select softer foods that don't require excessive chewing. Opt for nutrient-rich options like fruits, vegetables, yogurt, and lean protein sources to support healing.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water helps flush out toxins from your body while keeping your mouth moist and preventing dryness or discomfort.
- Visit a dentist regularly: Regular dental check-ups are essential even after amalgam removal so that any potential issues can be detected early on.
To learn more, call Koski DePaul Dental Group at 440-460-5400 or visit us at 5564 Wilson Mills Rd. #101 #102, Highland Heights, OH 44143, to schedule an appointment with us.